Nordseeschule > Fächer > Englisch
The Perfect Language Learneraktualisiert: 14.11.2022 17:24 von Sh
Liebe Schülerinnen, liebe Schüler,
wir haben hier einige Anregungen zusammengestellt, wie ihr in den Fremdsprachen Fortschritte erzielen könnt. Und natürlich präsentieren wir euch diese Tipps gleich so, dass ihr eure Kenntnisse anwenden und verbessern dürft. ☺
The Perfect Language Learner
Every language student wants to know the secret of making the most progress in the shortest time. What does the perfect learner do to excel in acquiring a foreign language?
- Practice every day. Even when you are really tired, do some learning, even if it is only 5 or 10 minutes. Never miss a chance to increase your knowledge. Use it, or lose it! (Do not forget: Listening to the lyrics of a song counts. Watching a DVD or a film trailer in English on the Internet counts. Telling English jokes to your friends and talking to your parents about your day counts.)
- Be motivated. What is your goal? Always think about your objective. You are learning because you want to achieve something.
- Record new vocabulary. To really learn a new word, you have to remind yourself of it six times over hours, days and weeks. Write down all your new vocabulary in a little book that you can always carry around with you. Or keep a record in your mobile. Or use the old-fashioned, but effective file-card box.
- Read, read and read! Read (in the foreign language) things that you like, not boring things. Notice new grammar patterns and important vocabulary. The more you read, the quicker you progress – it is as simple as that. (Do not forget: The school library has English books in the shelves.)
- Be brave. Don’t worry about small mistakes, no one minds! When you learn new vocabulary or grammar, use it as soon as possible. (We call it “fluency before accuracy.”)
- Use technology. Listen to podcasts of native speakers. Do online tests checking your level and knowledge. Read the news and watch videos in the target language. Record yourself speaking with free audio software. Make your own flashcards with online flashcard generators. Play interactive games in the target language. Keep a permanent record of your new vocabulary.
- Join the Conversation Club. Do not forget that Karah Kemmerly, our Teaching Assistant, offers a conversation course on a regular basis for various levels.
- What about French, Latin, and Spanish? Of course, the above mentioned tips are true for every language that you learn! Keep in mind: Practice makes perfect.